Our Mission Statement
“A Tradition of Excellence: Every Student, Every Day” is the focus of the mission statement for the Murray Independent School District. The mission of Murray Independent is to provide excellence for students through quality instruction and by assisting each student to achieve their individual abilities.
The school board and superintendent of schools present this mission and the following beliefs, comprehensive improvement plan, and guiding principles so that our staff, students and parents might better understand the issues facing Murray Independent School District.
The comprehensive improvement plan focuses on improvement of all students’ skills in all content areas while providing professional development for staff to meet the instructional strategies appropriate for content areas being taught. We believe our beliefs and principles that guide our district in all that we say and do allow our students to meet the expectations outlined in the comprehensive improvement plan.
The School Board realizes that to accomplish our goals we must call upon many individuals for assistance. After all, accomplishing our goals results in improved schools for our students.
Beliefs about the role of public education and the dignity of the individual
- Public education is the foundation of our democratic principles and is our best economic investment.
- A broadly educated citizenry is essential for democracy’s success.
- Understanding and appreciating individual diversity is vital to the success of public education and community stability.
- Each person in our society is equally important and valuable.
- Every individual is responsible for his/her own actions and has an obligation to contribute positively to schools and society.
- The primary business of the school district is to foster the highest level of student learning. Successful learning is created by developing each individual’s:
- Essential academic and critical thinking skills,
- Strong appreciation of arts and cultures,
- Responsible citizenship and character traits of integrity and ethics,
- Emotional and physical well-being.
- Successful learning is best achieved through strong connections with parents, families and all sectors of the broader community. These connections must be shaped by:
- Continuous communication to strengthen relationships, trust and unity to better serve children and youth,
- Strong partnerships and collective accountability including shared vision, cooperative effort and responsible action among families, students, staff and the community.
- Ensuring high levels of student learning requires constant capacity development of the entire school system. Such capacity development includes:
- Attracting, training, and retaining a high quality, diverse staff,
- Achieving constant innovation to improve organizational structures and processes,
- Building modern technology tools to create personalized learning and effective and efficient system management,
- Developing strong leadership to promote and challenge the district to accomplish its mission.
- Continuous improvement of both student and system performance is essential, and must be shaped through data-driven decision-making.
- Continuous improvement means all levels of the system must use a constant flow of data that are relevant and readily available to improve learning and organizational effectiveness
- Data to measure progress in performance must come from multiple sources. Test scores are necessary, but one of many ways to measure the success of students or the district.