Historic places tell a community where it came from, what previous generations achieved, what they believed, and what they hoped to be. We are proud of the historic school building that houses Murray Middle School and we're proud of our long "Tradition of Excellence."
There has been a school on the corner of Eighth and Main in Murray since 1872. The first school was erected by the community, and it was considered the finest high school in the Jackson Purchase. Until 1953, the Murray Middle School building housed all the students in the Murray district, grades 1-12. Murray State University's first classes met on the first floor in the 1920's, and Kentucky's first Head Start was organized in the building in the 1960's.
Over the years thousands of children have gone to school in the Murray Middle building. They endured the Great Depression in the 1930's, collected scrap iron during World War II, huddled under desks in the bomb drills of the Cold War, protested the Vietnam War in the 1970's, and cried when the Challenger exploded in the 1980's. In fact, our school itself is the greatest historical resource our teachers possess.
The Murray Independent School District has recently engaged in a nine-million dollar construction project that has doubled the size of the middle school, turning it into an environment for learning that is second to none in Kentucky. As we prepare for the future, we also should honor the past by acknowledging the previous generations who went to school at the corner of Eighth and Main.